Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Kitschy Coo Lady Skater Dress

Let's start at the beginning. I got a serger about 2 months ago. Since then I've sewn a bunch of knit projects (like this, and this). Each time thinking, "boy, this would be a great time to figure out how to use this thing." Yet, I never did. Until one day I had a Lady Skater muslin to make, 5 minutes of spare time, and no camera to distract me. That muslin is my first project made with the serger (shown wrong side out here in support of Fashion Revolution Day). And...well, the last.

When I started the actual Lady Skater Dress, I got 1/3 of the way through the bodice (one sleeve sewn on, one not), when I broke a thread. This sort of messed up the complicated serger threading, that got all tangled when I tried to put things back together.  Then I broke my only needle. I finished this project with a zig-zag on the ol' sewing machine. My fleeting serger experience was enough to know, nothing finishes a knit like a serger. My zig-zag seams are all wavy and wonkie. I feel a little lopsided in this dress with one perfectly serged shoulder, and one wobbly one. Until the postman rings with my new needles, it will have to do.
I've had this dress on my to-do list for a few weeks. It took Selfish Sewing Week to give me the extra push to focus on sewing for me, rather than the kids. I was feeling pretty enthusiastic about Selfish Sewing Week, until I remembered how hard it is to take a half decent picture of myself, by myself. I feel like people are staring at me (of course they are, its the internet!), and I just don't know where to look. I powered through because I don't feel like a project is finished until it is photographed, and blogged (sad but true, why did people sew before the internet?). Which seems like it takes longer than the sewing.
PATTERN: This is the Lady Skater Dress by Kitchy Coo. It is exactly what I look for in a summer dress, and I already own a few purchased versions. Its so easy wearing, you can dress it up (sandals with a heal), or down (are Keds still a thing?). The pattern has straight forward construction. This was my first time reinforcing seams with clear elastic, and it works like a charm. 

FABRIC: This is Knit Cotton Jersey from Mood in a Heather Raspberry (seems to be gone now). Its a great weight, but not as resilient as I'd like. Next time, I'll try one with a little lycra. I also bought Charcoal Heather, to make another Lady Skater.

FIT: Knits fit great, otherwise, no one would go through the heartache of sewing with them. I made a 3 in the bust, and graded to a 4 at the waist. These sizes match my actual measurements exactly, so sizing seemed like a no brainer. I might go down a size next time, to take a little more advantage of the stretch. 

ALTERATIONS: When I bought this pattern, I swore a silent oath to make it exactly as directed, no second guessing the expert until I'd made at least one. I broke that promise. I added a few inches to the capped sleeve (to hide my 30 something mom arms), requiring an extra inch or so of length for the cuff. I also made a gathered skirt, which is a 60"x22" rectangle. I may make one as specified in the future, but I know from experience that this skirt is more flattering on my hips.
There are a lot of things I don't love about this dress, but NONE of them have anything to do with the pattern. I can't wait to make another one (or two), and work out all the kinks. Its a more versatile pattern than I first expected with all the length and skirt possibilities, not to mention shifting the neckline up and down.

Linking up with Selfish Sewing Week on Kollabora HERE.

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty on you! Sorry you had serger problems, that's the pits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's what I get for sergering before reading the directions!

      Delete