Friday, May 30, 2014

5 More: Women's Woven Tank Patterns

Last week I made my first  Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank. The best part about the simple woven tank style is it's infinite versatility. I'm thinking about color blocking it, lengthening it into a dress, changing up the fabrics (of course!). If you're in the market for a great basic woven tank pattern the Tiny Pocket Tank is a solid buy, but if you're looking for choices (who isn't?!), here are 5 More:
left - By Hand London, right - We the Sewing
Polly Top by By Hand London

I really like the subtle detail of this top. This version from We the Sewing really accentuates the delicate detailing with delicate fabric choices for the color blocking. Oh yeah, and the Polly Top pattern is FREE!

left - Deer and Doe, right - Rue des Renards
Datura Blouse by Deer & Doe

I have no experience sewing Deer and Doe patterns (yet...), but I really love their take on the woven tank. The button back is such a nice vintage detail, and I love the open triangle neck option. The two-tone, two-directional stripes in this version from Rue des Renards adds a crisp touch to a feminine style.

left - Wiksten,  right - Handmade By Brienne
Wiksten Tank by Wiksten

My initial woven tank pattern choices came down to the Wiksten Tank or the Tiny Pocket. I love the aestethic of the Wiksten brand, and there are a ton of great examples of what you can do with this basic tank top pattern on the interweb, the one on the right is by Brienne. I was a little uncertain about my body type in anything with so little shaping, so I went with the Tiny Pocket Tank simply because it had a bust dart.

left - Salme Patterns, right - Made By France
Bib Top by Salme

I love the origami quality of most Salme patterns. This Bib Tank is no different with the box pleated detail at the neckline. Salmes examples are always completely stripped to the barest essentials, but Made By France infuses some personality into her version by using a print.

left - Coletterie, right - Jolene Bouchon
Sorbetto Top by Coletterie

One bold pleat embellishes the front of the Coletterie Sorbetto Tank. This would be a great staple to wear under a jacket or cardigan (such as Jolenes great print version) when winter makes bare arms obsolete. I have only recently discovered the Coletterie blog, which is chock-full of good stuff (have you seen their printed pattern storage system?). We are beginning and ending with FREE patterns! I know you have some little morsel in your stash that could have you in this top by Sunday brunch.

***
What's up with 5 More? 
I suspect that if I'm up into the wee hours of the night searching for a certain style of sewing pattern, others are probably shopping for it, too. With the 5 More series I try to sift through the mountains of patterns in search of 5 safe bets, for good results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment