Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Field Trip Raglan Dress with Thumbhole Cuffs

This girl has been growing a lot lately. It seems that her dresses become tunics before she gets to wear them twice. She is in desperate need of easy wearing play clothes and separates. I had some grander KCW plans in mind, but when it came down to sewing or fabric shopping, I decided to stay home and make something. As mentioned in the pervious post, I've had cozy long underwear-ish t-shirts on the brain lately. I had base layers in mind when I first started experimenting, but then I saw Ute's amazing tunic with thumbhole sleeves. Of course! Why isolate the coziness on a base layer when you can have it on every layer!?!
This is the Oliver + S Field Trip Raglan T-Shirt pattern. I added about 12" to the length. I also added 2" of width at the bottom of each side seam, then connected that point to the corner of the arm opening side seam to get a simple A line dress. Of course, the thumbhole sleeves were part of the research for the last post (how to make thumbhole sleeves). This is the size 5. L can wear a 4, but I wanted some room to grow, and there's plenty.
This crazy big print is some sort of cotton blend knit from my mother in law's stash. I think it's a print you either love or hate, and I'm not sure which side I'm on. I've been saving it for long enough that I must at least like it. There is certainly no chance it will go unnoticed. The arms and neck band are charcoal heather jersey knit. I wish I could remember where I bought it, I would get a whole lot more. Its got a subtle haylo of soft fuz that makes it extra snuggly. 




***
Linking to:
***

10 comments:

  1. nice! i love it. it looks so nice and cozy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just perfect for a little girl! Full of colors and cozy, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the thumb hole and color contrast!! (and the dress!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlin. We love the thumbholes too. L wants to wear this everyday.

      Delete
  4. I love it - the print and the thumbhole! Wish I could get away with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I don't think I can pull off this print, but I'm definitely adding thumbholes to the next top I make for myself!

      Delete