Thursday, February 12, 2015

Secret Valentine Exchange : Gray Marled Shape Shifter Scarf

from @kristi_sweetkm on instagram

You may recall the Secret Valentine Exchange hosted by Sanae and Ute. Lovely makers the world over swap handcrafted Valentine treats with one another. This year I made a scarf, (last year I also made a scarf, apparently I am a one trick pony) inspired by a photo I took at the farm on a gray winter day, and the preferences of my recipient. 

I was assigned to make something for Monika of Schneider Meistern. Monika is a German pattern maker with an urban sensibility. Most of her website, and all of her patterns are in German, but definitely worth a visit, pictures being worth a thousand words and all. I was super excited about this assignment because she is so cool. I was super nervous about this assignment because she is so cool. I was totally relieved that she lives in a place with winter justifying my propensity to knit. And knit I did. 
PATTERN: This is a slight variation on my own Shape Shifter Scarf Pattern (available here). I made it a bit bigger over all, and I made the garter section a few rows longer than the rest of the scarf, casting off the side panels, then coming back and knitting about an inch more in the middle. One more shifting shape.

YARN: This is Palette Yarn by Knit Picks. I tried hard to stick to the use-what-you-have rule for this project, and I always have a good selection of this yarn on hand because it's inexpensive and comes in a ton of colors. To get the marled look I knit with two strands held together. The side panels are Cream and Finnley Heather, the middle panel is Cream and Asphalt Heather, the bottom middle panel is two strands on Asphalt Heather. 
This little assemblage of Shape Shifter Scarf, chambray bento bag (using this illustration), and some SweetKM Valentines, is now thousands of miles away hopefully being put to good use. Once again thank you to Ute and Sanae for taking on the organizational challenge of this little exchange. It was a ton of fun. You can see what others are giving and receiving with the hashtag #2015sve on instagram, or in the Flickr pool. 
***
Now for the gift I received.
Angela of Sew Snippet made me some lovely felted bowls, and matchbook notebooks. I love both. L and I have been debating what to store in our new bowls. The DPNs were my suggestion, the peg dolls were of course hers. Thank you Angela! I love international mail, especially when its a beautiful handmade present for me.

***
Because you may want to dig a little deeper into the online presence of the makers mentioned in this post (trust me you could spend a whole day on any of their sites drinking in the creativity) here is a recap:
Monika
instagram *  blog  * shop

Angela
blog * flickr

Ute

Sanae
 instagram  *  blog

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous things sent and received. I love your scarf pattern, it's definitely in my Ravelry fave list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FT. I never get tired of this scarf pattern, so easy to change things up.

      Delete
  2. I know monika. She's a sweet, down-to-earth person with a great love for everything grey. I'm aure she loved your gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annika. I've been admiring the bag you made too. I haven't sewn many bags, but maybe a nice little clutch would be a good place to start!

      Delete
  3. I love your gift and how you transformed your inspiration into this beautiful scarf. I have met Monika and can attest to her coolness ;-) She will surely love your gift. I have admired the beautiful felted bowls you received on Flickr and am very happy they have found a home with you! I hope you will join us again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ute. Another fun gift exchange! Please oh, please do it again next year!

      Delete
  4. Oooo! I'll have to take a closer look at the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scarf is perfectly understated and lovely - I love the inspiration photo and the marled effect of using two colours held together. I'm so happy that you like the felted bowls. My mum keeps acorn caps and little felt balls in hers - somehow this has ended up being a favourite toy of all the kids who visit her house:)

    ReplyDelete