Monday, January 30, 2017

Sewing Pattern: The Blizzard Bonnet A Kid's Pixie Bonnet in 5 sizes

(Updated Dec. 9, 2022) 

I love the classic look of a knit pixie bonnet, and a sewn version seems like the logical next step. My daughter still loves the hat, so I decided to make a Wholecloth Blizzard Bonnet sewing pattern and instructions with expanded sizing from newborn (14in/35.4cm) through child's large (21in/53.5cm).

This design is a very simple, beginner friendly sewing pattern. The woven exterior is lined with warm sherpa fleece, and has a bias bound edge that extends to make strings. It can hang open, or tie at the chin for extra warmth. It's a great way to showcase a favorite print, or use flannel for the lining and create a quilted layer for the exterior. The possibilities are endless.
For my version I used the delightfully warm and soft RK Mammoth Flannel in Red Buffalo Check . The fabric is very thick and is perfect for outerwear, hats, and mittens. I love the classic buffalo check, but there are plenty of other great prints to choose from. I've tried a few different brands of sherpa fleece as I was testing out this pattern. My favorite is the dependably sturdy Michael Miller Organic Sherpa.
I've got a few other knitting and sewing patterns that are just as simple and versatile as this one. If you'd like to be the first to hear about them (and possible testing) sign up for my new newsletter. You'll only get it if something is happening like a sale or new pattern. No spam here!


Share your work!
On Instagram


Join the 

***

FOLLOW ALONG!
 





SaveSave

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the cute bonnet pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super excited to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your post and this is simply an amazing to increase embroidery knowledge for beginners really appreciate your writing skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable pixie hat pattern. Unfortunately when I click on the link it tells me I don't have access. Is there another way to get this pattern? I have a grandbaby arriving around Christmas time and would love to make a few of these. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I tried the link, but doesn't work. I have to ask for access. Please help, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing is happening to me and I subscribed to newsletter. I really want to access it as soon as possible. Please help!

      Delete
  6. Is there a way to get it w/out google drive?

    ReplyDelete