Monday, February 11, 2013

Seed Stitch Knit Cowl

I rarely knit for myself. I am much too hard to please.
My original intention was to do a structured stitch pattern. I love this one from the Purl Bee, but it just wasn't working for the look I wanted. The wrong side is more or less woven, making the finished knit fairly rigid. I started over with a simple seed stitch. Perfectly slouchy, perfectly two sided, and perfect for the buttery soft Misti Alpaca Chunky yarn from Yarnphoria on Pine Street in Philadelphia. Love the yarn, love this new store (partly because its so close by). Seriously large selection and great sale section in the back.

Quick Little Pattern:
Using size 10 circular needles, and a chunky yarn giving you 3 stitches per inch, cast on 91 (or any odd number) of stitches. K1,P1 until the cowl is the desired length. Each skein of yarn knits about 5 1/2" of height; I used 3 skeins. If you're feeling cheap (as I normally am), two skeins will make a perfectly passable 11" cowl. Three skeins puts it over the top for coziness, and makes it long enough to pull up over your head when you can't find your hat (as I normally can't).

Share your projects on:
Instagram
@kristi_sweetkm Instagram. 
#sweetkmpatterns

Ravelry

7 comments:

  1. I really like your cowl. It's perfect simplicity. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Believe me, the yarn is just delicious, too. I tend to be a cheapskate when it comes to yarn, this was totally worth the splurge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there this looks like a lovely scarf. I have yarn that is not that thick. Requires a size 8 needle. What do you recomend on count of stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starting this tomorrow, lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how long should I get the circular needles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making mine out of Lon Brand Scarfie yarn color gold and cream. It's nearly finished and the yarn makes lovely gradual color gradient changes. It's 18 inches long so I think I'd better cast off! Photos can be seen on your Ravelry page. Thank you for this pretty textured pattern that taught me the Seed stitch.

    ReplyDelete