Thursday, June 12, 2014

Self Drafted Mini Skirt

As soon as the ink was dry on my last Tiny Pocket Tee post, I bought the Grainline Moss Skirt pattern, to solve the problem of a 23 year old's skirt on a thirty-something (mumbled under breath) year old's body. After taking a beat to think it over, I decided I wasn't quite ready to make the Moss Skirt. Fitting is a bitch  tough (even a well designed pattern), if I'm going to go through the hassle of tweaking muslins, I might as well have the skirt I really want at the end of it all. The skirt I really want, is the one I was wearing...only in a size bigger.
I started with my measurements, guessed at the dart locations, whipped up a muslin, took in said muslin, tweaked the dart locations, considered making a second muslin, threw caution to the wind, and before the frustration became totally unbearable, I had a new skirt. Yippee!
The fabric is my favorite light weight denim from Joann. I made a ton of baby pants out of this a few years ago, and a few yards seems to end up in my basket every time I'm at Joann. The lining is also from Joann (used before here).
I thought to search for tutorials for doing this sort of thing AFTER the fact, and this one is pretty much how it worked out. I thought to search for tutorials BEFORE attaching the invisible zipper, and I'm so glad I did. I was planning to hand sew the lining to the invisible zipper, but Coletterie showed me the error of my ways. Thank goodness, now I can go make another!
I really like the idea of having a pattern arsenal of wardrobe staples at my disposal. Things that I will make many times, and allow for a lot of variation. This little guy may not be much to look at, but I get a great satisfaction from constructing for myself. Its no draped ball gown, but its all me, and I'll be carrying that buzz with me until I sew closed an arm hole, or slice a hole in something with the serger by mistake.

Pictures of me wearing it here.

2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. I too am a huge fan of making everyday basics - I get so much pleasure from being able to dress stylishly and easily in something I've made myself. I'm very impressed by your drafting too. Great make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am a little surprised/relieved how well it turned out.

      Delete