Monday, March 21, 2016

Shorts and Suspenders

Easter is coming so it's clearly time for some super cute sewing. Normally, we would sew an Easter dress, but this year we're thinking a bit outside the box, with some very versatile separates in disguise. I made four pieces that can be recombined well after the chocolate bunnies are gone (because mom ate them to fuel her middle of the night sewing). 

These are the Clover Shorts from Welcome to the Mouse House which I think we can safely say are my favorite little girl shorts. They are so classic and comfy, and those pleats somehow pull the easiest look together. In this case I'm using the pleats as a visual anchor for some super spiffy DIY suspenders (more on that in a bit). These shorts are sewn in light weight denim from Joann.

The t-shirt is the School Bus Tee from Oliver + S made with the cap sleeve. The fabric was a serious find at Fleishman Fabrics (my local fabric shop on 4th street just below Fitzwater). I got it a few weeks ago, so if you live in the neighborhood run, don't walk, to Fleishman's. They sell out of such gems fast. A white tee isn't the flashiest thing to sew, but I know you'll see it mixed in around here in the future.
This collar was made using the Removable Peter Pan Collar tutorial from Danielle Wilson. I modified it so the tie would be in the front rather than the back creating a bit of a Colonel Sanders/Tweedle Dee look (but in a good way I hope). The fabric is from the very last tiny scraps of my Vintage May dress, it Liberty of London Heidi C.

The separates quality of this outfit will come in handy later. Shorts for the park. T-shirt goes with everything. Collar will also look great with our Franklin Dress. Suspenders to mix in to L's wardrobe just for fun.

You'll find my complete suspender tutorial on the Petit a Petit + Family blog today. I promise you, it's easy and all of the hardware is available at Joann, so you still have time to whip up a few pairs before you have to take photos of your kiddos holding easter baskets in front of daffodils!

***

DETAILS
Shorts Fabric: Light Weight Denim from Joann
Tee Pattern: School Bus Tee by Oliver + S
Tee Fabric: Cotton Jersey from Fleishman Fabric

6 comments:

  1. This outfit is just too cute! No traditional Easter dress but it gives me a spring feel anyway. And it will be worn more frequently I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva! We've already gotten some wear out of the pieces!

      Delete
  2. Both look great!
    Love these outfits, suspenders for kids are a very french trend here in Italy.
    Happy Easter in advance, Kristi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both the outfits -- those suspenders are the cutest!! And of course the shorts! One of my absolute favorite shorts patterns, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cute! Love the shorts/suspenders/collar combo for Easter. Hope you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete