Friday, March 24, 2017

One Pattern Three Ways : Girl's T-shirt

This is a project I did for Petit a Petit and Family last year, but it's an idea I'd like to revisit here. I love the versatility of a good basic kid's t-shirt sewing pattern, like the Oliver + S School Bus Tee. Any basic pattern can be so much more than what you see on the front of the envelope. Modifying a trusted design is a very satisfying way to flex your design muscles without the risk of total disaster. I'm looking forward to doing another capsule set for L this spring, and I'm a little depressed none of this one fits any more (oh, how they grow!). She still wears it all, skin tight, and scandalously short (with leggings of course) though it may be!
Pattern:
I've used the Oliver + S School Bus Tee to make a 3/4 sleeve gathered skirt dress, an A-line dress with front pocket, and a basic cardigan. The School Bus Tee is my go-to kid's t-shirt pattern, but there are plenty of others to choose from. I like this one because the sizing is always spot on, for my kids.
Construction Notes:
1. For the cardigan I cut a few inches off of the length of the front, back, and sleeves, then added knit ribbed cuffs to the waist and wrists. I cut the front piece in half along the fold line, and added a button band to each cut edge.

2. For the gathered skirt dress I shortened the body of the t-shirt to just under the arm opening. I shortened the sleeve by a few inches to make them ¾ length. The skirt is two rectangles joined at the side seams, gathered at the top, and sewn to the bottom of the t-shirt bodice. 

3. The a-line dress is the short sleeve t-shirt made longer, and wider at the bottom hem. The kangaroo pocket is drafted based on the size of my daughter’s hands.
Fabric:
I used the same 3 fabrics on all three garments so the finished pieces could be mixed and matched together. For this little collection I used the Doodles fabrics from Joann:  Navy Flock Dot Ponte KnitPink Butterfly Cotton JerseyGray Ribbed Knit.



***

FOLLOW ALONG!



8 comments:

  1. Looking your t-shirts! So adorable and cute. Specially, it's easy to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha! T-shirts are an easy/fast win for kids. Just wish they didn't outgrow them so fast! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Thanks for providing such a great article. You can also check our blog :
    Girl’s t-shirt printing

    ReplyDelete
  3. From personal experience, I've found that investing in quality activewear can make a world of difference. Whether it's yoga, running, hiking, or hitting the gym, having the right gear can boost your confidence and performance.
    can you use walmart gift card for gas

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This blog is an absolute gem! The way it breaks down complex concepts into easy-to-understand language is truly remarkable. Kudos to the writer for their exceptional clarity!"
    how long is a business day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following this blog for a while, and it has become a source of inspiration for my own writing. The consistent quality and engaging writing style serve as a benchmark for what a successful blog should be.
    Hughes Discount Code

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words have the capacity to inform and uplift. Continue doing a great job on your blog! twinkle deals coupons

    ReplyDelete
  7. My knowledge on a variety of topics has increased thanks to your writing. I appreciate your dedication to education. lowes 10 coupon generator

    ReplyDelete